Continuing Frankie’s mission of spreading joy through lindy hop
The mission of the Frankie Manning Foundation is to carry on the work and the spirit of Frankie Manning in spreading the joy of Lindy Hop, danced to big band swing music, throughout the world.
Like Frankie Manning himself, the Foundation values:
- Having fun dancing the Lindy Hop
- Historic authenticity in Lindy Hop dancing and music
- Improvisation and continued innovation
- Close relationship between the music and the dance
- Maintaining a true community among dancers
- Mutual respect and cooperation
- Inclusivity (diverse backgrounds: geographic, ethnic, socio-economic, age, ability, etc.)
- Outreach and welcome to newcomers
- Excellence, which can be encouraged through friendly competition
The Foundation seeks to promote projects which are grounded in unity and collaboration, and which enable people of all different backgrounds to participate in this joyous dance.
PROPOSED PROJECTS OF THE FOUNDATION
- Publicizing events around world memorializing Frankie Manning, especially on his birthday (May 26th)
- Facilitating Frankie100 celebration in 2014
CHILDREN’S PROGRAMMING (K-12)
- Encouraging children and youth programs, school based or not, and providing support for the facilitators of those programs. Providing information, aid in getting funding, curriculum content, and other resources.
- Empowering exceptional individuals who come from communities that have little or no exposure to Lindy Hop so that they may take what they learn back to their community of origin to help the spread of Lindy Hop.
- College Clubs
- African-Americans in Lindy Hop
- People working with K-12 age
- Online forums, such as starting scenes; working with kids
- Regional sub organization
SPREADING LINDY HOP ‘ROUND
- Facilitating publicity
- Support for documentaries
- Support for new scenes
- Frankie Manning Memorabilia
- Frankie Manning Video Collection of Revival
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer, share ideas or donate funds
Under the auspices of the Houston Swing Dance Society, a 501C3 non-profit organization